top of page

Our History

White River Junction, Vermont has been host to many things over the years, some of which were none-too-savory. A railroad town will always attract an entire spectrum of humanity, but it is this environment that makes an alternative museum strong. 

In 1992 a small museum opened its doors, and immediately attracted a broad cross-section of Vermont and New Hampshire's citizenry: academics, art professionals, musicians, politicians, journalists, the under-employed, the inveterate ne'er-do-wells, and even the quite ordinary. 

The building on South Main Street had always been a public forum of sorts. The Museum seemed the perfect fit for a space formerly home to a restaurant with transvestite waitresses, "Lena's Lunch," a bowling alley and dance hall, and a former silent picture theater in which Elvis impersonators and High-Art enjoyed equal admiration. (Or, the High-Art claimed its requisite share of admiration–
compared to the Elvises.) 

The current location of the museum, in the old firehouse at 58 Bridge Street, has survived floods and hurricanes, artists and their wild parties, and cursed artifacts for years, and we aim to do so indefinitely.

fox and bunny.jpg
images.jpg
Dffandtower03.jpg
Flag 1862.jpg
Our beloved master, David Fairbanks Ford, on the roof
bottom of page